Disruptive change is all around us. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people are writing and speaking about it.
The Impact of Disruptive Change
- Some have had their world turned upside down. They have lost their jobs, and whatever “the new normal” turns out to be, it will not include them doing what they used to do
- Many are in the process of piecing their world back together. They have kept their jobs but are coming to grips with the long-term realities of executing their role from their living rooms.
- Some have never been busier. They have not only kept their jobs they have never had more job security or seen more opportunity
Consider in this regard that we are living smack dab in the middle of a timeless metaphor. Change comes in waves! When those waves hit the beach, some people drown; some people swim; some figure out a way to get in the curl of those waves and surf.
The Importance of Flexibility
Regardless of the description that best fits your reality right now, one thing is for sure, flexibility is at a premium! Emotional Intelligence would suggest that flexibility requires you to be able to modify your thoughts, emotions, and behavior in response to change. Some of us are more comfortable with this than others, but it has become a universal imperative, regardless:
- Organizations want resiliency! As entities, they seek the capability to withstand the forces of disruptive change that have come out of nowhere this year
- Organizational resiliency is a function of team adaptability! People that know each other, work with each other, and trust each other “figuring things out” in real time
- Team adaptability is a function of personal flexibility. Plainly and simply!
At the end of the day this is the way we will weather this storm.